Moving house does not have to be a taxing experience.
Packing up your life and moving into your new home can be stressful. However a little foresight and simple planning can help make the start of your life in your new home an exciting and enjoyable experience.
Before you move • Moving can not only be stressful, it can be expensive too. Creating a temporary family budget is a great way to keep on top of costs.
• You’ll need all of your utilities to be fully functional at your new residence before you move in, so be sure to check that water, gas, electricity, phone and internet connections are attended to early on in the moving process to ensure a smooth transition between homes.
• Contact Australia Post and ensure all mail is directed to your new residence – this will make it a lot easier to keep track of any bills that might come in as well as other important information.
• If your children will be moving school then a few quick visits to familiarise them with the area will help reduce anxiety when the move finally comes. Try visiting the local shops, parks, gyms and playgrounds to also get a feel for your new neighbourhood.
Home sweet home • Things are bound to be different in your new neighbourhood, and that includes expenses. Try and keep track of where your money is going in those first few weeks to see where you can make any savings.
• Take the time to introduce yourself and your family to your new neighbours. A few familiar faces and a good relationship with your new community will help your family settle in to your new area quickly and comfortably.
• Lastly, the best thing to do is to keep relaxed and enjoy making your new home your own.