Investors to be protected when building

By Staff Reporter

A new Residential Building Cover will be introduced come January next year assisting investors with new builds, according to recent announcements.

From January 1st 2013, legislation will be brought in to protect those in the Northern Territory with building properties, business minister, Peter ChandlerChandler, QLD Chandler, QLD, indicated while responding to concerns from Master Builders Association.

"The Country Liberals drove the previous Government’s agenda surrounding the introduction of legislation protecting Territorians building their own homes,” Mr Chandler said.

"Territorians undertaking the considerable investment associated with building a home deserve to be protected from unforeseen circumstances.”

This package, currently earmarked, will include the establishment of a fidelity fund to provide cover in the event of death, disappearance or bankruptcy of a builder, regulated process payments and the establishment of a Commissioner of Residential Building disputes.

Maintenance of $50,000 net tangible assets by builders will also be required.

This is seen by Mr Chandler as especially necessary due to six building firms collapsing across the NT in the last four years.

Minister for lands and planning, Gerry McCarthy, has also previously announced support for the changes that will replace the Home Building Certification Fund 1993.

“This is great news for Territory builders and consumers as they will enjoy the confidence that comes with growth in the industry and consumer protection,” he said.

The Master Builders Association will control the industry fidelity fund through which claims will be made. It only applies to work which involves a registered builder, including new builds and extensions, but may not include verandahs, sheds and carports.

Thank you.

Your enquiry has been sent to a local Aussie Mortgage Broker.

We will be in contact with you shortly.

error occurred.
Unfortunately Aussie cannot attend to your home loan related enquiry at this stage as you must be a citizen or permanent resident.
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
What Aussie do for you:
  • Give expert mortgage advice to help you find great investment loan deals
  • Help you maximise return by lowering financing costs
  • Save you time and effort by helping with the paperwork
First name
Last name
Mobile Number
Are you an Australian Resident?
promoted stories

Top Suburbs

Highest annual price growth - click a suburb below to view full profile data:
BLUE BAY 49.18%
Investors to be protected when building
SPI logo