Landlords have been reminded their properties could be subject to extra damage, overcrowding, excessive noise and underage drinking in coming weeks.
Property owners are being urged to prepare for the notorious party week in advance and establish clear ground rules and a zero tolerance policy for misbehaviour.
Archers – The Strata Professionals partner Grant Mifsud said schoolies week could be a stressful time for unit owners, but there were ways to reduce the risks.
“Body corporates should establish a list of well-defined schoolies house rules to discourage misconduct ahead of celebrations,” Mr Mifsud said.
“To reduce the risk of damage, unit owners should revisit their behaviour management plan and lay down clear ground rules and mitigation strategies for school leavers to follow.
“These rules outline what will and will not be tolerated and should be shared with school leavers as soon as possible to ensure they have ample time to review them before excitement and anticipation kicks in.”
Mr Mifsud said property managers and landlords needed to work with graduates and their parents to ensure clear boundaries were set from the get-go, especially as one of the biggest priorities for school leavers was having their bond refunded.
“Any damage made to the room or contents during schoolies week will come out of the bond. Consequently, if school leavers accidentally damage the property, the best approach is to notify the accommodation provider right away,” he said.
To ensure school leavers behave responsibly and to achieve a “harmonious outcome for all involved”, Mr Mifsud suggested enforcing the following rules.
- No glass bottles in the room or pool area
- Maximum of two external guests permitted in the room at any given time
- Pool rules and restrictions
- Secure rooftops to prevent dangerous stunts
- Zero tolerance policy for misbehaviour on balconies
- Noise to be kept to a minimum
- Dangerous behaviour will be dealt with by police
Mr Mifsud reminded accommodation providers that they were required to have a complaint handling process and school leavers were entitled to lodge a written complaint if they felt they were being treated unfairly.
Your enquiry has been sent to a local Aussie Mortgage Broker.
We will be in contact with you shortly.
- Give expert mortgage advice to help you find great investment loan deals
- Help you maximise return by lowering financing costs
- Save you time and effort by helping with the paperwork