Lodging a development application

By Darren Standish

Standish tnIn order to undertake a subdivision project, you must first lodge a development application, which can take longer than some investors anticipate.

Blogger: Darren Standish, Property Prosperity

When lodging an application for subdivision you first must lodge an application with the Development Assessment Commission (DAC). Once an application is lodged with DAC they will then send copies of the application to the Council as well as all the relevant government agencies and authorities which provide utilities and services to the block (e.g. SA Water, ETSA, Transport SA).

The Council and relevant authorities will then determine what requirements they may have in respect to the application and forward their comments back to DAC for further clarification or amendments.

Once the Council and authorities have determined that the land division is appropriate Conditional Development Approval may be given subject to further conditions and requirements which must be satisfied.

At the satisfactory fulfilment of these additional conditions and requirements the Council will then advise DAC that it has no further objections to the issue of a certificate for the purpose of creating new titles for the development. Other relevant authorities will do the same once their requirements have also been met.

The Commission will then issue a Certificate of Approval which is lodged with the Registrar-General of the Lands Titles Office. The New Certificates can then be issued.

The time it takes from first application to the issuing of new titles will vary depending on the size and complexity of the development however standard subdivision from 1 into 2 blocks will usually take about 12 months to complete.

About Darren Standish

Darren Standish established Property Prosperity in 2004 initially as a property development company, however after repeated requests for assistance the business evolved into a development consulting business.

Property Prosperity was initially focused on assisting clients with subdivisions and negotiating with councils to ensure that clients maximized their return on investment. Over the years additional services were gradually added to ensure the development process was as seamless as possible for its clients. We expanded into offering individually tailored finance solutions and then added Property Development Analysis, Property Sales and a Builder Broker Services.

Darren is the overachiever of the team and has more qualifications than your average university graduate. As well as completing a Bachelor in Economics, Bachelor in Commerce and post graduate in Accounting he subsequently went on to complete a Diploma in Financial Service, Diploma in Real Estate and Certificate IV in Building. He is a qualified Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA), a licensed Real Estate Agent, licensed Mortgage Broker and holds a Builders License.

Thank you.

Your enquiry has been sent to a local Aussie Mortgage Broker.

We will be in contact with you shortly.

error occurred.
Unfortunately Aussie cannot attend to your home loan related enquiry at this stage as you must be a citizen or permanent resident.
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
What Aussie do for you:
  • Give expert mortgage advice to help you find great investment loan deals
  • Help you maximise return by lowering financing costs
  • Save you time and effort by helping with the paperwork
First name
Last name
Mobile Number
Are you an Australian Resident?
promoted stories

Top Suburbs

Highest annual price growth - click a suburb below to view full profile data:
BLUE BAY 49.18%
Lodging a development application
SPI logo