Planning approval involves a general overview of the proposed development to determine whether it meets the requirements of the council as laid out in the Development Act and there are a number of factors investors need to consider
Blogger: Darren Standish, Property Prosperity
Items to consider when lodging an application for Planning Approval include:
• Site Coverage & Floor Areas – this limits how much the block can be covered by buildings
• Private Open Space – an area of open yard which is private and useable should be provided
• Car Parking & Driveways – areas must be provided for cars to park off the street
• Building Appearance – the new home should meet the desired character of the area
• Energy Efficiency – all new houses must have a 6 star energy rating to minimise energy use
• Site Frontage Widths – ensure the new house has a desirable visual appeal from the street
• Front Setbacks – this is the distance from the front boundary to the closest part of the house
• Side Setbacks – are important to ensure adequate daylight to side windows
• Rear Setbacks – ensure the new dwelling has a useable outdoor area in the backyard.
Other items that may also have to be considered include:
• Building Height
• Stormwater Drainage
• Easements and Encumbrances
• Significant Trees
Once planning consent is received, full working drawings and construction information can then be prepared and submitted for Building Rules Consent and full Development Approval.
As the information required to submit an application can be quite extensive it is advisable that an appropriate professional assist to ensure that the information supplied is comprehensive and complete. This will ensure that the application process occurs smoothly and approval can occur in the least possible amount of time.
Applications to planning are often made by either the builder or by using a Development Consultant. During the initial stages of the development application process the builder may not have been chosen. In this case the Development Consultant may assist with processing the application and provide guidance with evaluating and negotiating with the builder once approval has been given.
About Darren Standish
Darren Standish established Property Prosperity in 2004 initially as a property development company, however after repeated requests for assistance the business evolved into a development consulting business.
Property Prosperity was initially focused on assisting clients with subdivisions and negotiating with councils to ensure that clients maximized their return on investment. Over the years additional services were gradually added to ensure the development process was as seamless as possible for its clients. We expanded into offering individually tailored finance solutions and then added Property Development Analysis, Property Sales and a Builder Broker Services.
Darren is the overachiever of the team and has more qualifications than your average university graduate. As well as completing a Bachelor in Economics, Bachelor in Commerce and post graduate in Accounting he subsequently went on to complete a Diploma in Financial Service, Diploma in Real Estate and Certificate IV in Building. He is a qualified Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA), a licensed Real Estate Agent, licensed Mortgage Broker and holds a Builders License.
Your enquiry has been sent to a local Aussie Mortgage Broker.
We will be in contact with you shortly.
- Give expert mortgage advice to help you find great investment loan deals
- Help you maximise return by lowering financing costs
- Save you time and effort by helping with the paperwork