Avoid unnecessary costs and fees by choosing to build a duplex on your land.
Blogger: Nidal Rasheed, managing director, Silvertail Property Group
Keen to build equity through property investment, but short on time? A duplex may be the right investment strategy for you. I’ll help you discover the benefits and things to consider before you start.
A duplex is two separate homes built on the same title that has the ability to be retitled as strata titles after construction is complete. It maximises the potential of the land and doesn't require subdivision for the two properties to be built. Advantages of building a duplex include:
- Reduced build costs
- Lower stamp duty, holding fees, insurance costs and council rates
- No strata fees
- Higher tax depreciation
But the greatest advantage of a duplex is the ability to create equity quickly with a high rate of return on your investment.
Example: The land, cost to build two homes, subdivision fees and council fees could cost you around $600,000. Once the houses are built and subdivided they could be sold for $350,000 each, making you a profit of $100,000 – all within 12 to 18 months. Alternatively, each property could be rented for $350 to $400 per week, achieving a high return of 6.1 per cent to 7 per cent.
Generating a high return from a duplex sounds great, but you need to consider if this type of investment suits your circumstances.
Top 10 things to consider:
- It’s a high growth and high yield investment, but with that comes a higher financial commitment than just buying an existing house or individual house and land package.
- A duplex is a positively geared investment with the potential to create equity in a calculated way.
- Buying purely on price can be a pitfall – you get what you pay for.
- You must have the capacity to cover a 20 per cent deposit, i.e. $100 to $150,000 in equity. It can be achieved with a lower deposit but that would create higher risk (discuss this with you advisor).
- You must be able to service a large loan.
- Great for someone who is time-poor and wants to invest strategically.
- Creates the ability to fast track your wealth, so it’s great for retirees.
- You have the option to rent out and achieve an ongoing high interest return.
- Only certain councils will allow duplexes. NSW and Queensland are more favourable to duplexes because of population growth the housing shortage.
- Seeking help from professionals means you can save time and avoid mistakes.
Where should you start?
Step 1: Meet with an advisor to understand your financial capacity and the tax implications.
Step 2: Decide on your end goal – consider what you want to achieve through this investment. If you don’t, it’s like getting dressed and hopping in the car, but not knowing where you are going!
Step 3: Research and develop a plan of action. You can’t buy property overnight so start researching and making steps towards your goal.
Step 4: Take action and make it happen. Once you've decided that this is the ideal strategy for you, take action and make it happen!
With the ability to generate equity quickly, and provide a higher rental yield per square metre, a duplex is the smart way to invest. However, investing in property is not ‘one size fits all’, by understanding the things to consider when investing in a duplex you can decide if it’s the best way for you to create wealth.
About the Blogger
Property investment expert and award winning entrepreneur Nidal Rasheed is Managing Director of Silvertail Property Group. Mentored by top industry figures, Nidal has developed a business ethos that breaks conventional thinking and challenges the standard approach to business and investment.
Nidal has an enduring passion for inspiring growth, creating wealth and enabling financial freedom for his clients and his employees. He is focused on developing long-term relationships with his clients and serving them in the best way possible through a stress-free, streamlined, investment process.
With a strong determination to succeed, Nidal aspires to live a purposeful, balanced life with his growing family as his constant focal point.
Your enquiry has been sent to a local Aussie Mortgage Broker.
We will be in contact with you shortly.
- Give expert mortgage advice to help you find great investment loan deals
- Help you maximise return by lowering financing costs
- Save you time and effort by helping with the paperwork