As land space is increasingly shrinking and home owners are sacrificing space for location, gain value by turning your backyard into an outdoor room.
The trend is always to focus our attention on furnishing the inside of our homes, forgetting to utilise the often-neglected outdoor areas. However, outdoor zones are just as important and should be approached with the same set of decorating principles as internal spaces.
Top tips for creating an outdoor room:
1. Use glass to create an alfresco space: Glass bi-fold doors are a great way to extend the indoors out. They create flow between the internal and external rooms and are visually very dramatic.
2. Opt for adaptable furnishings: Stacking chairs and a collapsible table are great options as they can be easily removed and allow flexibility depending on how many people need to circulate through the outdoor room.
3. Create a feature wall: Green walls are really popular at the moment and are a great way to make the most of small spaces. Alternatively, an exposed brick wall can also make a statement; it really depends on the style you are hoping to achieve.
4. Add pops of colour: Brightly coloured and patterned cushions, throws and table decorations are a great way to add colour pop and can be easily updated as colour trends come and go.
5. Make a small space appear larger: Invest in wall-hung mirrors; these are a great way to make a space feel bigger than it actually is and are also great wall art especially if you go for a textured or coloured frame.
With a bit of creativity and careful thinking about getting the most function into your outdoor area – it can be transformed into another usable and inviting living space perfect for entertaining all year round.