Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA

Electrician to pay $27k over faulty work at Golden Bay property

development
1 minute read

Electrician to pay $27k over faulty work at Golden Bay property

by Emma Ryan 14 July 2020 1 minute read

Home owners have been advised to be cautious of faulty work on their properties as an electrician was fined $27,000 for a wiring error in Western Australia.

Electrician
July 14, 2020

Santo Sgroi was found guilty of breaching WA’s electricity licensing regulations in the PerthPerth, TAS Perth, WA Magistrates Court on 10 June following a prosecution by Building and Energy (WA). He was ordered to pay more than $27,000 in fines and costs for a potentially lethal wiring error that caused two tradesmen to receive electric shocks at a building site near Rockingham.

“The court was told that Mr Sgroi attended a Golden Bay property on 25 August 2015 to transfer an energy consumption meter from a temporary installation used by builders to the main switchboard at a new home,” a statement from Building and Energy confirmed.

“He was privately employed and carrying out the work as part of Western Power’s Contractor Connect Scheme, which permits accredited electricians to connect some new installations to the utility’s network.

“After Mr Sgroi left the property, a tiler and a gas fitter working on the house received electric shocks in separate incidents when they touched the main switchboard. The gas worker was briefly hospitalised but fortunately neither man was seriously injured.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The investigation conducted by a power inspector found that the connection of the active and neutral load conductors at the meter was transposed, “causing the surrounding earthed metal components to become live with electricity”.

“During the trial, Mr Sgroi’s defence team argued that the incorrect wiring could have resulted from vandalism or tampering by someone else after he had left the site,” the statement continued.

“However, Magistrate Thomas Hall found there was no direct evidence of any third party having been in contact with the meter. He noted that although Mr Sgroi was an experienced electrician, he failed a Contractor Connect Scheme audit one month after the incident.

“The Magistrate said based on the facts, the only reasonable inference was that Mr Sgroi caused the transposition and failed to test the meter properly, resulting in electric shocks to two people.”

Commenting on the matter, WA’s Director of Energy Safety, Saj Abdoolakhan, said it was essential for all electricians to take responsibility for their work and to conduct the prescribed tests adequately.

“The job is not done until all the required checks and tests are carried out and recorded diligently and methodically,” he said.

“There is no excuse for cutting corners with any area of electrical work because of the potentially deadly consequences.”

Electrician to pay $27k over faulty work at Golden Bay property
Electrician
spi logo

About the author

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan is the deputy head of content at Momentum Media.

Emma has worked for Momentum Media since 2015, and has since been responsible for breaking some of the biggest stories in corporate Australia, including across the legal, mortgages, real estate and wealth industries. In addition, Emma has launched several additional sub-brands and events, driven by a passion to deliver quality and timely content to audiences through multiple platforms.

Email Emma on: [email protected]Read more

From the web

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.