Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
management
1 minute read

Warning raised over ‘potentially deadly’ gas supply

Warning raised over ‘potentially deadly’ gas supply

by Emma Ryan | November 11, 2019 | 1 minute read

Property owners and tenants are advised to issue caution after work completed by a registered gas fitter saw an “extremely hazardous situation” break out at a WA residence.

Perth Magistrates Court
November 11, 2019

An unnamed registered gas fitter, who is not being identified due to a spent conviction granted at the time of sentencing, has been ordered to pay more than $10,000 for his “potentially deadly” gas connection of a natural gas cooker to a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) supply, which saw a fireball erupt when the appliance was used.

The matter was prosecuted by Building and Energy in the PerthPerth, TAS Perth, WA Magistrates Court, with the gas fitter pleading guilty to two breaches of WA’s gas regulations.

“The court was told that in 2017 the gas fitter attended an Applecross unit and removed the property’s existing cooker, which had two labels identifying its gas type as LPG or propane,” a statement from Building and Energy explained.

“He then installed a new cooker that was designed and approved for use only with natural gas, which was stated on the appliance’s official data plate. The court heard that the gas fitter noticed the flames were higher than usual when he tested the new cooker.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“The following day, the tenant tried to light the appliance and her hair was singed by a fireball from accumulated gas above the burner.”

In handing down her sentence, Magistrate Tanya Watt said the gas fitter was “very fortunate that the installation did not have more serious consequences such as an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning”.

Director of Energy Safety Saj Abdoolakhan welcomed the significant fine.

“It’s no exaggeration to say this was an extremely hazardous situation that could have resulted in serious injury or death,” he said.

“Natural gas cookers have considerably larger gas injectors compared to those using LPG, causing excessive gas flow in a mismatched installation such as this. This results in bigger flames and the risk of a fireball or explosion from the built-up gas. There is also a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We will continue to hold gas fitters to account if they fail to ensure every part of an installation they work on is safe to use and complies with the regulations and manufacturers’ instructions.”

About the author

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan is the deputy head of editorial at Momentum Media and editor of Smart Property Investment.

Emma has worked for Momentum Media since 2015, and has since been responsible for breaking some of the biggest stories in corporate Australia, including across the legal, mortgages, real estate and wealth industries. In addition, Emma has launched several additional sub-brands and events, driven by a passion to deliver quality and timely content to audiences through multiple platforms.

Email Emma on: [email protected]com.au

Warning raised over ‘potentially deadly’ gas supply
Perth Magistrates Court
spi logo

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates - join a community of over 80,000 property investors.

Check this box to receive podcast updates

From the web

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.